TNPDS stands for Tamil Nadu Public Distribution System. The state government of Tamil Nadu is making every possible attempt to get modern automated systems in operation. The Government wishes to change the mechanical mode in a variety of ways by bringing in electronic systems to replace them.
One such venture of the TNPDS is the issue of smart ration cards to the citizens of Tamil Nadu. It has improved the functioning machinery and has made it easier for both the government and the citizens to manage their ration cards. The old ration cards are being transformed to digital TNPDS smart cards, and are managed through an online platform.
This post will guide you through:
- Types of TNPDS ration cards
- Services provided by TNPDS online portal
- Objectives of the online system
- Documents required for applying for the TNPDS process
- Online Application Process for TNPDS smart ration card
- Offline Application Process at fair price shops
- Smart Ration card mobile app
- How to check the status of Smart Card online
- How to file a complaint in the TNPDS portal
- TNPDS SMS service
- Types of TNPDS Ration Cards
- Services Provided by TNPDS Online Portal
- Objectives of the Online System
- Documents Required for Applying for the TNPDS Process
- Online Application Process for TNPDS Smart Ration Card
- Offline Application Process at Fair Price Shops
- The Smart Ration Card Mobile App
- How to Check the Status of Smart Card Online?
- How to file a complaint in the TNPDS portal?
Types of TNPDS Ration Cards
The TN government issues four ration cards, assigning with the economic status of the people. These are:
- The Light Green card – issued for rice & other items at a fair price shop
- The White ration card – used for gaining an excess of 3kg of sugar
- No Commodity card – for citizens uneligible to receive commodities from ration shops.
- The Khaki card – unique card issues only to police personnel
Services Provided by TNPDS Online Portal
Ever since TNPDS has gone online, it has increased its range of services including an online portal, call center, email services, social medium platform. Some of the other services provided online are listed below:
- Helps to locate the online shops
- Provides services like ration card application, registering, and mobile app services.
- Applicants can easily add their family member’s names, or remove any if needed.
- Easily change the address.
- Applicants can easily change the head family member.
- Card holders can cancel or surrender their cards.
- Change from sugar ration card to rice card.
Objectives of the Online System
The online system has made the lives of citizens as well as governments easier in various ways. Some of its objectives are:
- The online service has resulted in limited paperwork and reduced overcrowding at the ration card offices.
- The portal remains clear and transparent and all information about the applicant is stored to help with detailed identity verification.
- There haven’t been any instances of corrupt practices. Equal distribution of food has been carried out through government-corrected data.
- There is no publishing and paperwork cost as they can be made available online.
- People can have easy access to the page and can apply and confirm their application status using the platform.
Documents Required for Applying for the TNPDS Process
To proceed further with the application process, the following documents should be kept handy:
- Income certificate.
- Electricity bill as a proof document.
- Aadhaar card and PAN card.
- Bank passbook or bank statement.
- Caste certificate.
- The hall-size photography pass.
Online Application Process for TNPDS Smart Ration Card
Once the aforementioned documents are ready, applicants can start applying for their TNPDS smart ration card in the online mode by the following process:
- Click only tnpds.gov.in to visit the official TNPDS website.
- Click on the option ‘smart ration card application’ available on the homepage.
- Choose ‘register yourself’ to fill in the required registration details.
- Next, log in to the site using your credentials.
- Once the application form is displayed on the screen, enter your details correctly and very carefully to avoid any error.
- Now in the given space, fill the affidavit and details of all family members.
- After entering all information, re-check it and click on the submit button.
- You will receive a registration number which should be kept safely for future reference and use.
Offline Application Process at Fair Price Shops
To apply offline for a ration card, check out the following steps:
- Visit the State Fair Price Shop.
- You will receive an application form that you can also download and access from the TNPDS website.
- You are to fill up the application form with the necessary details and add all the files and documents as specified in the form.
- Then submit the form to the nearest TNPDS department around you where the departmental officers will provide you a reference number to assist with the status inquiry of your form.
The Smart Ration Card Mobile App
Using the online digital services, applicants can access the services from their computers and mobile phones by installing the app. Here’s how:
- Open the Google Play Store application.
- Type TNPDS on the search tab.
- Choose the very first option that pops up.
- Click on the install button.
- Open the app to log in and access your details.
How to Check the Status of Smart Card Online?
In order to check the status of your Smart Ration Card application online:
- Visit the TNPDS official website at tnpds.gov.in
- Choose the ‘status of the electronic card application’ option, available on the homepage.
- On the next page that displays, enter your registration number.
- Click on the submit button.
- The status of your smart card application will be displayed.
How to file a complaint in the TNPDS portal?
If you have any complaints, you can file them in the online portal using the following steps:
- Visit the TNPDS official website at tnpds.gov.in
- Choose the ‘register complaint’ option displayed on the homepage.
- On the next page that opens, enter these details:
Registered mobile number.
- Click on the ‘submit’ button.
It is important to ensure all your details are entered correctly in the portal before you click on the submit button.
TNPDS SMS facilities
The TN state government also provides messaging services for using the TN Public Distribution System services. Applicants can now know the status of the ration shop (open or closed), the status of available food, and other commodities, all over an SMS. It also allows the applicants to file a complaint.
Here’s how you can do it:
To check the availability of commodities at an FPS, send:
To check the status of the ration shop, send
To file a complaint against billing, send
We hope this post could be useful to you. If you still have any queries and concerns, drop them down in the comment box below.